The video has less hyperbole than you’d imagine. It is not that far-fetched for an OC to see a coin and think of the end of the world. OCD logic travels very quickly to extremes.
It exists! It’s thorough! It’s also ridiculous.
Here’s an example:
1. Begin with an assumption: most parents tell their children not to talk to strangers.
2. Therefore, if a young person talks to me, they are being disobedient.
3. If I am causing a child to be disobedient, then I too am sinning.
4. Extrapolation: a parent’s direction does not just wear out; therefore, even teenagers and young adults AND EVEN ADULTS are still under that command not to talk to strangers unless the parent has told them otherwise.
5. Most parents wouldn’t think to say otherwise.
6. Therefore, it is sinful for people I don’t know to talk to me and sinful for me to talk to people I don’t know.
Did you make all those connections with me? But you think it’s silly, right?
Yeah, an obsessive-compulsive can’t dismiss things so easily.
Good luck, Polly Pure-O, at your job tomorrow, at the drive-thru, at the Target register. Say a word and you’ll only feel guilty.
To the OCs who read my blog, walk me through your OCD logic in a comment!