Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. Have you read it yet?
I gobbled this one up, and it. was. delicious.
It tells the story of two female friends during World War II. It’s hard to say much about the book because I don’t want to give anything away. So, instead, I will tell you what I loved about the writing.
* The characters are deep, layered, fun, and so sweet. All the characters, not just the main ones.
* The writing is full of historical details without ever weighing down the narrative.
* Readers are expected to keep up; the writing does zero dumbing down.
* It’s beautifully written.
* There are surprises.
* The book will not just tug your heartstrings– it will yank. Be prepared.
I absolutely loved it. In case you couldn’t tell. 🙂
P.S. I highly recommend the audiobook so that you can listen to all the beautiful accents (British, French, German, and Scottish!)! Delightful!
Have you read it yet? What did you think? No spoilers in the comments please!