I have been re-watching the movies (in reverse … strange, I know), and I have just a few questions. Now, granted, some of these are probably addressed in the books and I’ve just forgotten. I know that movies have to condense things so much that a lot is lost, but still …
* Do you really think that the Gryffindor commons room would be empty by 1am on a Saturday night? It was in Goblet of Fire. I think of my freshman year of college (all of college actually) and how my usual bedtime was 2am. Would unsupervised teenagers really go to bed so early? Were there lights-out rules in the books?
* How did Barty Crouch, Jr. (disguised as Moody) manage to finagle Harry out of the tournament arena after Cedric died? Didn’t people have some pretty major questions to ask Harry at that time, being he was the only eye-witness to the death?
* Rowling herself has said there are about a thousand students at Hogwarts. That doesn’t add up to me. There are 5 Gryffindor boys in Harry’s year (Harry, Ron, Neville, Dean, Seamus) and five girls (Hermione, Lavendar, Parvati, and two unnamed Gryffindor girls). That’s 10. If there are 10 in each year, that’s 70 in the house. That means 280 total in all four houses. Is Harry’s year just an unusually small sampling?
* Where does Grawp live, even beyond OOTP? Does he just stay in the forest?
* Why in the world did they have deatheaters burn the Burrow down in Half-Blood Prince? How did they rebuild it in time for Bill and Fleur’s wedding?
* How much does it suck that they left out the Percy storyline and the Teddy Lupin storyline?
* I thought I saw George’s ear in both parts of Hallows, even though it was supposed to be cursed off. Does that seem like an easy CGI move?
* In Hallows, when there are the seven Harry Potters, doesn’t it seem like a giant oversight of the Order to not have had them all (including the aurors) use polyjuice potion to transform into, say, some unknown muggles? Seems far less dangerous. And more confusing for the deatheaters.
* Why didn’t Voldemort kill Harry when he was standing over him at the Ministry in OOTP? “Avada Kedava” doesn’t take that long to say. Although Dumbledore was there, so …
* If it was THAT easy to kill someone (waving a wand and saying two words), isn’t it hard to imagine that there wouldn’t have been far more deaths in the wizarding community? When you think of the stupid things that muggles fight over, it seems to me like the death toll would have been much higher. And even in OOTP, the deatheaters are still shouting “stupify”– why wouldn’t they just go for the kill?
* Same thing as far as polyjuice potion: don’t you think it would have been much more common for people to sneak around as someone else? Maybe it’s because it took so long to brew.
* They were going to shut down Hogwarts simply because the chamber of secrets was opened … but they didn’t shut it down after Cedric died or after Voldemort returned or after Snape and the Carrows took over? Really?
I’m sure I have more questions. I love that Jo Rowling made the wizarding world so real to us that we can even have these kinds of questions and discussions. Would love to hear your thoughts, answers, or additional questions, friends!!